Although our Grand Lodge is relatively new, Freemasonry in Newfoundland & Labrador can be traced back to 1746. The first Warrant for a Lodge in Newfoundland was granted by Thomas Oxnard, The Provincial Grand Master of Massachusetts,1746 for a lodge believed to be in the Placentia Area, a second Lodge appears on the Massachusetts records as “St. John’s Newfoundland Lodge.”
However, by 1832 these Lodges had ceased to function. On November 29th 1848, St. John’s Lodge was re-established. In 1858 freemasonry was firmly established when Worshipful Brother Patrick Tasker, a Past Master of Saint John’s Lodge, was appointed the first Deputy Provincial Grand Master for the Colony by the Provincial Grand Master of Nova Scotia, Rt Worshipful Brother Alexander Keith, under the authority of the United Grand Lodge of England. In 1866 the first Scottish lodge was formed in NL and named Lodge Tasker. Today, Newfoundland still has a District Grand Lodge of Newfoundland & Labrador, of the Grand Lodge of Scotland with close fraternal ties to the Grand Lodge of Newfoundland & Labrador.